It’s an obvious assumption that car insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. Insureds who shop around for cheaper rates are very likely to switch to a new company because there is a good chance of finding coverage at a more affordable price. A recent auto insurance study revealed that people who faithfully checked for cheaper rates saved as much as $865 a year compared to those who didn’t regularly shop around.
If finding the cheapest price for auto insurance in Charlotte is your objective, then understanding the best way to quote and compare coverages can save time and money.
The best way to get affordable car insurance rates in Charlotte is to start doing a yearly price comparison from insurers that sell auto insurance in North Carolina.
Step 1: Try to learn about what coverages are included in your policy and the steps you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that drive up the price like traffic violations and an unacceptable credit score can be remedied by paying attention to minor details. Keep reading for more details to help keep prices low and get bigger discounts that may have been overlooked.
Step 2: Compare prices from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct and exclusive agents can only give prices from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if cheaper Silverado 3500HD coverage is available in Charlotte. If you find better rates and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
Step 4: Give notification to your current company of your decision to cancel your current policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application to your new company or agent. Once coverage is bound, safely store the certificate verifying coverage somewhere easily accessible.
One thing to remember is to use identical coverages on every price quote and and to get rate quotes from every insurance company. Doing this guarantees a fair price comparison and the best price selection.
Seven Things That Affect Your Insurance Costs
Many things are part of the calculation when quoting car insurance. Most are fairly basic like an MVR report, although others are less apparent like your continuous coverage or how safe your car is.
The factors shown below are some of the items used by your company to calculate premiums.
- Poor credit can mean higher rates – An insured’s credit score is a big factor in determining what you pay for auto insurance. Insureds with very good credit scores tend to be more responsible and file fewer claims than drivers with bad credit. Therefore, if your credit could use some work, you could be paying less to insure your Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD if you improve your credit rating.
- Does your occupation cost you more? – Do you work in a high-stress field? Careers like fire fighters, architects, and miners tend to have the highest rates due to stressful work requirements and lots of time spent at work. Other occupations like professors, historians and homemakers have the lowest average rates.
- Less chance of injury means lower prices – Cars with high safety ratings cost less to insure. Safer cars have better occupant injury protection and fewer injuries means less claims paid which can mean better rates for you. If your Chevy Silverado 3500HD has ratings of a minimum an “acceptable” rating on the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety website or four stars on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration website you may pay a lower rate.
- Liability coverage – The liability section of your policy kicks in in the event that you are found to be at fault for personal injury or accident damage. It will provide legal defense which can cost a lot. Liability is cheap compared to comp and collision, so buy as much as you can afford.
- Better prices for uninterrupted coverage – Driving without insurance is against the law and as a result your rates will increase for letting your coverage cancel without a new policy in place. Not only will rates go up, the inability to provide proof of insurance could earn you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.
- Be proud to be claim-free – If you file claims often, don’t be surprised to see either higher rates or even cancellation. Companies in North Carolina generally give the best rates to drivers who do not file claims often. Insurance coverage is intended to be relied upon for claims that pose a financial burden.
- Urban residents pay more – Choosing to live in less populated areas has it’s advantages when buying auto insurance. Residents of big cities have to deal with traffic congestion and longer commutes to work. Fewer drivers translates into fewer accident claims in addition to lower liability claims.
Auto insurance statistics and figures
The price information below covers a range of insurance premium costs for Chevy Silverado 3500HD models. Learning how insurance policy premiums are determined can assist in making decisions on the best policy to buy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado 3500HD LT Crew Cab 4WD||$186||$366||$292||$18||$88||$950||$79|
|Silverado 3500HD LT Extended Cab 4WD||$186||$366||$292||$18||$88||$950||$79|
|Silverado 3500HD LT Crew Cab 2WD||$186||$318||$234||$14||$70||$822||$69|
|Silverado 3500HD LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$206||$318||$234||$14||$70||$842||$70|
|Silverado 3500HD LT Crew Cab Diesel 2WD||$206||$366||$234||$14||$70||$890||$74|
|Silverado 3500HD LTZ Crew Cab Diesel 2WD||$206||$366||$234||$14||$70||$890||$74|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include homeowner, safe-driver, claim-free, multi-vehicle, and multi-policy. Premium amounts do not factor in specific location which can increase or decrease coverage prices considerably.
The example below shows how choosing a deductible and can affect Chevy Silverado 3500HD insurance costs for each different age group. The rate quotes are based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Get cheaper Chevy Silverado 3500HD insurance in Charlotte with discounts
Companies don’t always publicize every discount they offer very well, so the next list breaks down both well-publicized as well as the least known discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Charlotte car insurance online.
- Multiple Cars – Buying a policy with multiple vehicles on a single policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Driving Data Discount – Charlotte drivers who agree to allow their company to study driving habits through the use of a telematics system such as Allstate’s Drivewise and State Farm’s In-Drive system may get a rate reduction as long as they are good drivers.
- Include Life Insurance and Save – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn better premium rates if you take out life insurance.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Vehicles equipped with air bags may earn rate discounts of 20% or more.
- Defensive Driving Course – Passing a defensive driver class could save 5% or more if you qualify.
Discounts lower rates, but most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. A few only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though you would think adding up those discounts means a free policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
The illustration below compares Chevy Silverado 3500HD insurance costs with and without discounts. The data is based on a male driver, a clean driving record, no at-fault accidents, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with safe-driver, multi-policy, claim-free, homeowner, marriage, and multi-car discounts applied.
To choose insurers that offer many of these discounts in North Carolina, follow this link.
In this article, we presented many ways to compare Chevy Silverado 3500HD insurance prices in Charlotte. The key concept to understand is the more quotes you get, the better your chances of lowering your rates. Drivers may even discover the lowest priced insurance comes from some of the lesser-known companies.
A few companies may not provide the ability to get a quote online and usually these regional insurance providers sell through independent agents. Cheaper Chevy Silverado 3500HD insurance in Charlotte is possible on the web and with local Charlotte insurance agents, and you should compare rates from both so you have a total pricing picture.
When getting Charlotte car insurance quotes online, you should never buy poor coverage just to save money. There are too many instances where someone dropped full coverage only to discover later they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage at the lowest possible cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Additional detailed information is available at these sites:
- Anti-Lock Brake FAQ (iihs.org)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for 19 Year Olds in Charlotte? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Charlotte Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers Requiring a SR22? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Charlotte Car Insurance for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- Auto Theft Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- How do I File a Claim? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Get the Right Protection (InsureUonline.org)