Astonishing but true, most auto insurance customers have remained with the same auto insurance company for more than four years, and nearly half have never compared rate quotes at all. Charlotte drivers could save $94 every year, but most tend to underestimate how much savings they would realize if they bought a different policy.
Truthfully, the best way to save money on Chevy Silverado insurance is to annually compare prices from insurers who can sell car insurance in Charlotte.
- Read about how companies price auto insurance and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that drive up the price like high-risk driving behaviors and your credit history can be amended by paying attention to minor details.
- Obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only give prices from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from many different companies. View companies
- Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you can save some money, ensure coverage does not lapse between policies.
One piece of advice is to make sure you enter similar deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to compare as many companies as possible. This helps ensure an apples-to-apples comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
Quoting the most affordable policy in Charlotte is not as hard as you think. If you already have coverage or are looking for a new policy, you can use these tips to find better prices while maximizing coverage. Consumers just have to understand the most time-saving way to get comparison quotes from many different companies online.
Save a ton on Chevy Silverado insurance in Charlotte with these car insurance discounts
Car insurance is not cheap, but there are discounts available that you may not even know about. Certain reductions will be credited at the time of quoting, but some must be specially asked for before being credited.
- Seat Belt Discounts - Drivers who require all vehicle occupants to use a seat belt may be able to save a few bucks off the personal injury premium cost.
- Save over 55 - Drivers that qualify as senior citizens can get a discount up to 10%.
- Home Ownership Discount - Simply owning a home can get you a discount because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- Federal Government Employee - Employees or retirees of the government may qualify for a discount when you quote Charlotte car insurance depending on your company.
- Life Insurance Discount - Insurance companies who offer life insurance give a lower premium rate if you buy some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
As a sidenote, some credits don't apply to your bottom line cost. The majority will only reduce the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. So despite the fact that it appears having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, car insurance companies aren't that generous.
The chart below illustrates the comparison of Chevy Silverado car insurance costs with and without some available policy discounts. The premium estimates are based on a male driver, no accidents, no driving violations, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $100 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, marriage, claim-free, safe-driver, homeowner, and multi-car discounts applied.
Larger car insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are outlined below.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for multi-policy, homeowner, continuous coverage, online quote discount, and good student.
- MetLife has discounts for good student, multi-policy, accident-free, claim-free, good driver, defensive driver
- Mercury Insurance may offer discounts for ease of repair, location of vehicle, multi-car, good student, annual mileage, and good driver.
- Nationwide may have discounts that include defensive driving, Farm Bureau membership, business or organization, family plan, and accident-free.
- GEICO may include discounts for daytime running lights, multi-vehicle, federal employee, anti-lock brakes, defensive driver, multi-policy, and air bags.
- AAA policyholders can earn discounts including good student, multi-policy, anti-theft, AAA membership discount, multi-car, pay-in-full, and good driver.
If you want cheaper Charlotte car insurance quotes, ask each insurance company what discounts are available to you. A few discounts may not apply to policyholders in your area. To locate companies who offer car insurance discounts in North Carolina, click here to view.
Many insurance companies such as 21st Century, Allstate and State Farm give prices from their websites. The process is fairly straightforward as you simply type in the amount of coverage you want on the page. When the form is submitted, the quote system collects your driving record and credit report and generates pricing information based on many factors.
Quoting online for Chevy Silverado insurance in Charlotte simplifies rate comparisons, and it's necessary to perform this step in order to get the lowest possible payments on auto insurance.
To save time and fill out one form to compare multiple rates now, consider comparing rates from the companies shown below. To compare your current rates, we recommend you copy deductibles and limits as close as possible to your current policy. This makes sure you will receive an apples-to-apples comparison based on similar coverages.
The following companies are ready to provide price comparisons in North Carolina. In order to find cheap auto insurance in NC, it's a good idea that you visit two to three different companies to find the most competitive car insurance rates.
Rates and statistics
The information shown next covers different coverage prices for Chevy Silverado models. Having a good understanding how auto insurance prices are established can be valuable when making smart choices when selecting a coverage provider.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 2WD||$118||$210||$318||$18||$96||$760||$63|
|Silverado LS Regular Cab 4WD||$118||$210||$282||$16||$84||$710||$59|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab 2WD||$134||$256||$318||$18||$96||$822||$69|
|Silverado LT Regular Cab||$134||$256||$318||$18||$96||$822||$69|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 4WD||$134||$256||$282||$16||$84||$772||$64|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 4WD||$134||$256||$282||$16||$84||$772||$64|
|Silverado LT Extended Cab 2WD||$134||$256||$318||$18||$96||$822||$69|
|Silverado LS Extended Cab 2WD||$134||$256||$318||$18||$96||$822||$69|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 4WD||$152||$302||$282||$16||$84||$836||$70|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 2WD||$152||$302||$318||$18||$96||$886||$74|
|Silverado LS Crew Cab 4WD||$152||$302||$282||$16||$84||$836||$70|
|Silverado LT Crew Cab 2WD||$152||$302||$318||$18||$96||$886||$74|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 2WD||$152||$302||$318||$18||$96||$886||$74|
|Silverado LTZ Extended Cab 4WD||$152||$302||$282||$16||$84||$836||$70|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 2WD||$152||$302||$318||$18||$96||$886||$74|
|Silverado LTZ Crew Cab 4WD||$152||$302||$282||$16||$84||$836||$70|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 2WD||$152||$348||$282||$16||$84||$882||$74|
|Silverado Crew Cab Hybrid 4WD||$170||$348||$282||$16||$84||$900||$75|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Cost estimates assume single female driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $500 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Price information does not factor in specific Charlotte garaging location which can decrease or increase premium rates greatly.
Does full coverage make sense?
The example below visualizes the comparison of Chevy Silverado annual premium costs with full coverage compared to only the North Carolina minimum liability coverage. The information is based on a clean driving record, no claims, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Should you pay for full coverage or liability only?
There is no clear-cut formula for excluding physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a guideline you can use. If the annual cost of having full coverage is more than about 10% of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let's say your Chevy Silverado book value is $6,000 and you have $1,000 full coverage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most your company would pay you is $5,000 after the policy deductible has been paid. If you are paying over $500 a year to have full coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some cases where only buying liability is not advised. If you haven't satisfied your loan, you have to carry full coverage to protect the lienholder's interest. Also, if your finances do not allow you to purchase a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should not opt for liability only.
Chevy Silverado Insurance Premium Factors
Lots of things are used in the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some are pretty understandable such as traffic violations, but other criteria are less apparent like your continuous coverage or how safe your car is. Part of the car insurance buying process is learning the different types of things that are used to determine the level of your policy premiums. If you know what positively or negatively impacts your premiums, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that could help you find lower rates.
The items below are some of the most common factors that factor into prices.
Annual miles is a factor - The higher the miles on your Chevy annually the more it will cost to insure it. A lot of insurance companies charge to insure your cars determined by how the vehicle is used. Vehicles that are left in the garage receive better premium rates than vehicles that are driven to work every day. Ask your agent if your declarations sheet correctly shows the correct driver usage, because improper ratings can cost you money. Improper usage on your Silverado may be costing you.
Raise your coverage deductibles for better prices - Comprehensive and collision coverage deductibles are how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if a claim is determined to be covered. Physical damage insurance, otherwise known as comp (or other than collision) and collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Examples of covered claims could be collision with another vehicle, hail damage, and damage from wind. The more money you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
High performance vehicles cost more to insure - The performance of the car or truck you need to insure makes a huge difference in the rate you pay. The cheapest rates are usually for lower performance four cylinder passenger cars, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
The following data assumes a married female driver age 40, full coverage with $100 deductibles, and no discounts or violations. It illustrates Chevrolet Silverado rates compared to other models of vehicles that have a range of performances.
Know your credit rating - Having a bad credit history can be an important factor in calculating your premium rate. So if your credit score is not that good, you could potentially save money when insuring your Chevrolet Silverado by improving your rating. Drivers who have excellent credit tend to be less risk to insure as compared to drivers with lower credit scores.
Avoid unnecessary add-on coverages - There are quite a few extra bells and whistles that can add up if you aren't careful. Coverages like rental car reimbursement, death and dismemberment, and membership fees are probably not needed. They may sound like good ideas when you first buy your policy, but your needs may have changed so eliminate the coverages to reduce your premium.
Older drivers pay less - Teen drivers in North Carolina have been known to get distracted easily in a vehicle so they pay higher car insurance rates. Adding a inexperienced driver to your policy can cause a big jump in price. More experienced drivers are more responsible, cause fewer claims and accidents, and receive fewer citations.
The next chart assumes a single driver, full coverage with $500 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Males pay higher costs - Statistics demonstrate that women are safer drivers than men. However, don't assume that males are worse at driving than females. Both genders are responsible for at-fault accidents in similar numbers, but the men cause more damage and cost insurance companies more money. Men also statistically receive more major tickets such as reckless driving.
The information below compares Chevy Silverado premium costs for male and female drivers. The data is based on no claims or violations, full physical damage coverage, $500 deductibles, drivers are not married, and no discounts are factored in.
Chevy Silverado claim statistics - Insurers study historical loss data as a way to help calculate a profitable premium price. Vehicles that statistically have high amounts or severity of claims will have a higher cost to insure. The data below shows the historical insurance loss data for Chevy Silverado vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles as a whole is considered to be 100. Values that are under 100 suggest a positive loss record, while values that are above 100 indicate frequent claims or tendency to have larger claims.
|Specific Chevrolet Model||Collision||Property Damage||Comp||Personal Injury||Medical Payment||Bodily Injury|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2WD||76||118||85||78||69||125|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD||60||76||72||54|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 2WD||89||103||131||77||70||94|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Crew Cab 4WD||96||105||116||57||57||87|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 2WD||90||126||100||88||85||117|
|Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab 4WD||84||98||89||60||60||88|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 2WD||60||65|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4WD||66||97||66|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 2WD||76||127||65|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Crew Cab 4WD||88||114||97||45||42||82|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 2WD||80||54|
|Chevrolet Silverado 2500 Ext Cab 4WD||79||105||83||37||43||75|
|Chevrolet Silverado 3500 4WD||65|
|Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab 4WD||98||127||108||54||39||76|
|Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Ext Cab 4WD||129||127|
Empty fields indicate not enough data collected
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Are auto insurance agents obsolete?
A small number of people just prefer to buy from a licensed agent and that is a personal choice. Insurance agents are trained risk managers and help in the event of a claim. One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find cheap auto insurance quotes and still choose a local agent. Buying from small agencies is important especially in Charlotte.
After completing this quick form, your insurance data is submitted to insurance agents in Charlotte that can give you free Charlotte car insurance quotes to get your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won't have to contact any insurance agencies because quoted prices will be sent to you instantly. In the event you want to quote rates from a specific company, feel free to find their quoting web page and give them your coverage information.
Pick the best auto insurance agent in Charlotte for you
If you want a reliable insurance agent, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents from which to choose. Agencies in Charlotte can be categorized as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for. Either one can provide auto insurance policies, but we need to point out the differences because it may have an impact on which type of agent you select.
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent do not work for one specific company so they can write business with an assortment of companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If prices rise, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don't have to do anything.
When comparing auto insurance prices, you need to get rate quotes from several independent insurance agents to ensure the widest selection of prices. Most also have access to mutual insurance companies that many times have cheaper rates.
Shown below are Charlotte independent insurance agents who may be able to give you cheap rate quotes.
- The Hoffman Agency, LLC
2015 Ayrsley Town Blvd - Charlotte, NC 28273 - (704) 280-8585 - View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Michael Bare Agency
2300 Sardis Rd N a - Charlotte, NC 28227 - (704) 248-8000 - View Map
- Charlotte Insurance
5113 Piper Station Dr #207 - Charlotte, NC 28277 - (704) 536-0995 - View Map
Exclusive insurance agents can only provide one company's prices and examples are State Farm, AAA, Farmers Insurance or Allstate. Exclusive agents cannot provide other company's prices so if the price isn't competitive there isn't much they can do. Exclusive agents are well schooled on their company's products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates. Some insured continue to use the same exclusive agent partially due to the prominent brand name rather than having low rates.
The following are Charlotte exclusive insurance agents who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Joe Pomykacz - State Farm Insurance Agent
2730 E W.T. Harris Blvd #202 - Charlotte, NC 28213 - (704) 535-3700 - View Map
- Kyle Fadeley - State Farm Insurance Agent
13551 Steelecroft Pkwy #120 - Charlotte, NC 28278 - (704) 588-5585 - View Map
- Roger Craig - State Farm Insurance Agent
1427 Emerywood Dr - Charlotte, NC 28210 - (704) 553-2327 - View Map
Selecting an insurance agent needs to be determined by more than just a cheap quote. Any good agent in Charlotte should know the answers to these questions.
- How experienced are they in personal risk management?
- Will they give you a referral list?
- Will vehicle repairs be made with aftermarket parts or OEM replacement parts?
- Does the quote include credit and driving reports?
- What companies can they write with?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Will high miles depreciate repair valuations?
After getting positive responses for all questions you ask and affordable Chevrolet Silverado insurance rates in Charlotte quotes, most likely you have located an insurance agent that is reliable enough to properly insure your vehicles. Just keep in mind it's your coverage and you can cancel your policy whenever you wish so never feel that you're stuck with a specific agent for any length of time.
Insurance does more than just protect your car
Despite the fact that insurance is not cheap in Charlotte, maintaining insurance serves several important purposes.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability protection if you want to drive legally. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you bought your Chevy Silverado with a loan, more than likely the lender will make it a condition of the loan that you have comprehensive coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you default on your policy, the bank may insure your Chevy for a much higher rate and require you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects both your Chevy Silverado and your personal assets. Insurance will also pay for medical bills for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also covers legal expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, your insurance policy will cover the damage repairs after a deductible is paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance outweigh the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. But the average driver in North Carolina is overpaying more than $700 annually so it's important to compare rates at every renewal to ensure rates are inline.
Get the best coverage at the lowest price
Some insurance companies don't offer online price quotes and these regional carriers only sell through independent insurance agents. Affordable Chevy Silverado insurance in Charlotte can be found online as well as from independent agents in Charlotte, and you need to comparison shop both to get a complete price analysis.
You just learned a lot of tips how to lower your Chevy Silverado insurance premium rates in Charlotte. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better your comparison will be. You may even discover the best price on auto insurance is with a small local company.
Drivers who switch companies do it for many reasons like lack of trust in their agent, delays in responding to claim requests, policy non-renewal or even being labeled a high risk driver. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, switching companies can be easy and end up saving you some money.
Other learning opportunities
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Over Age 50 in Charlotte? (FAQ)
- How Much are Charlotte Auto Insurance Rates for Uber Drivers? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for a Toyota Corolla in Charlotte? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Charlotte Auto Insurance Rates for Welfare Recipients? (FAQ)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- A Tree Fell on Your Car: Now What? (Allstate)