Astonishing but true, nearly 70% of customers have remained with the same car insurance company for four years or more, and almost 40% of drivers have never compared rates from other carriers. The average driver in the U.S. can save hundreds of dollars each year by just comparing quotes, but most tend to underestimate how much they could save if they switch to a new company.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get affordable Chevy Volt insurance in Charlotte is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from insurance carriers who sell insurance in North Carolina. Rate comparisons can be done by following these guidelines.
- Step 1: Try to comprehend the coverage provided by your policy and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that cause high rates such as accidents, careless driving, and a negative credit score can be amended by being financially responsible and driving safely. Later in this article we will cover additional ideas to keep prices down and get additional discounts.
- Step 2: Quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote rates for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to the premium of your current policy to determine if you can save on Volt insurance in Charlotte. If you find a lower rate quote, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
A tip to remember is to use similar coverage information on each quote and and to get quotes from as many carriers as you can. Doing this enables an accurate price comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Our objective in writing this article is to help you learn how to get online quotes and some tips to save money. If you have a current insurance policy, you should be able to cut your premiums using these techniques. Consumers just have to understand the most efficient way to compare company rates from many different companies.
Companies offering Chevy Volt insurance in Charlotte
The companies shown below are ready to provide quotes in North Carolina. To get the best cheap car insurance in North Carolina, we recommend you get rates from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Why You Might Pay Inflated Rates in Charlotte
Many things are part of the calculation when you get a price on insurance. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, but some are more transparent like where you live or your commute time.
- Rural areas have lower prices – Living in smaller towns and rural areas of the country may provide you with better prices when trying to find low car insurance rates. Less people means fewer accidents and a lower car theft rate. Urban drivers have more road rage incidents and much longer commute distances. More time commuting means higher likelihood of an accident.
- Employer and insurance rates – Careers like real estate brokers, air traffic controllers, and stock brokers generally pay higher rates than the rest of us attributed to intense work requirements and extremely grueling work hours. On the other hand, occupations such as professors, students and the unemployed generally pay rates lower than average.
- Cheaper car insurance rates using alarms and GPS tracking – Selecting a car model with advanced anti-theft systems can help lower your premiums. Theft prevention devices such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers help track and prevent car theft.
- Single drivers take more risk – Getting married can actually save you money on your car insurance policy. Marriage translates into being more mature than a single person and insurance companies like that drivers who are married are more cautious.
- Safeguard your assets with liability – Your policy’s liability coverage provides coverage in the event that you are found to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. This coverage provides you with a defense in court to defend your case. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared with rates for comp and collision, so do not skimp.
- More performance means more cost – The type of car you need to insure makes a significant difference in your auto insurance rates. The best insurance prices are usually found on lower cost passenger models, but other factors influence the final cost greatly.
- Increase coverage deductibles to save – Insurance for physical damage to your car, termed comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, protects your Chevy from damage. Some examples of covered claims could be a broken windshield, flood damage, or theft. Deductibles for physical damage are the amount of money you are willing to pay before your car insurance pays a claim. The more of the claim the insured is willing to pay, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Put fewer miles on your vehicle – The higher the miles on your Chevy in a year the more you’ll pay to insure your vehicle. Many insurance companies price each vehicle’s coverage based on how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks left parked in the garage qualify for better rates than vehicles that have high annual mileage. Verify your car insurance policy correctly shows how each vehicle is driven. Incorrect rating for your Volt is throwing money out the window.
Chevy Volt historical loss data – Companies use past insurance losses when determining insurance prices. Models that the data shows to have higher frequency or amount of claims will have a higher premium rate. The table below shows the insurance loss data used by companies for Chevy Volt vehicles.
For each insurance policy coverage type, the claim amount for all vehicles, regardless of make, model or trim level, equals 100. Percentage numbers below 100 indicate a favorable loss history, while numbers above 100 point to more claims or a tendency for claims to be larger.
Insurance Loss Ratings for Chevrolet Volt Vehicles Specific Chevrolet Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Volt Electric 89 83 81 71 73 90BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Data Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Charlotte insurance discounts for a Chevy Volt
Some insurers do not list all available discounts very clearly, so we researched a few of the more common and also the lesser-known credits available to you.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Vehicles that have anti-lock braking systems prevent accidents and therefore earn up to a 10% discount.
- Military Deployment Discount – Having an actively deployed family member can result in better car insurance rates.
- New Vehicle Savings – Buying a new car model may earn a small discount because newer vehicles have to meet stringent safety requirements.
- Own a Home – Simply owning a home may trigger a policy discount on car insurance because owning a home shows financial diligence.
- Good Grades Discount – Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. Many companies even apply the discount to college students up to age 25.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same insurance company you may earn as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- Air Bag Discount – Options like air bags or motorized seat belts may earn rate discounts of 25 to 30%.
Don’t be surprised that some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the price of certain insurance coverages like medical payments or collision. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, nobody gets a free ride.
Popular car insurance companies and their possible discounts can be found below.
- State Farm offers discounts including Drive Safe & Save, multiple policy, anti-theft, good student, student away at school, and driver’s education.
- Progressive discounts include online signing, multi-vehicle, online quote discount, multi-policy, and good student.
- Travelers policyholders can earn discounts including driver training, continuous insurance, early quote, good student, save driver, and hybrid/electric vehicle.
- American Family offers discounts for accident-free, early bird, good student, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, and good driver.
- Liberty Mutual may have discounts that include new graduate, exclusive group savings, good student, preferred payment discount, and multi-car.
If you want affordable Chevrolet Volt insurance quotes, ask each company how many discounts you can get. Savings may not apply to policies everywhere. To find car insurance companies with discount rates in Charlotte, follow this link.
Local Charlotte insurance agencies and insurance
Certain consumers still like to visit with an insurance agent and doing so can bring peace of mind Good insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and help file insurance claims. A nice benefit of comparing insurance online is you may find the best rates and still choose a local agent. And supporting small agencies is important particularly in Charlotte.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your coverage information is immediately sent to companies in Charlotte who will gladly provide quotes for your coverage. You won’t even need to contact any insurance agencies since price quotes are sent immediately to your email address. If you have a need to get a price quote from a particular provider, just search and find their rate quote page and fill out their quote form.
Exclusive or Independent: There is a difference
If you are wanting to find a local agent, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they function. Insurance policy providers are categorized either independent or exclusive. Both provide insurance policies, but it’s a good idea to understand why they differ because it can factor into your agent selection.
Independent Insurance Agencies
These type of agents can quote rates with many companies and that enables them to quote your coverage amongst many companies depending on which coverage is best. If you want to switch companies, they simply move the coverage in-house which requires no work on your part.
If you are trying to find cheaper rates, we highly recommend that you get quotes from independent agents so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare. They also have the ability to place coverage with companies you’ve never heard of who may have lower rates.
Featured below are Charlotte independent insurance agencies who may be able to give you price quotes.
- All Points Insurance Agencies
5618 Albemarle Rd # 200 – Charlotte, NC 28212 – (980) 221-9468 – View Map
- Charlotte Insurance
5113 Piper Station Dr #207 – Charlotte, NC 28277 – (704) 536-0995 – View Map
- O H Walker Insurance Agency Inc
2210 Crownpoint Executive Dr – Charlotte, NC 28227 – (704) 814-4343 – View Map
Agents that elect to be exclusive can usually just insure with one company like AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. Exclusive agents cannot provide other company’s prices so keep that in mind. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable in insurance sales which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Some people will only buy from exclusive agents mainly due to loyalty to the company and solid financial strength.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agencies in Charlotte that are able to give price quotes.
- George Pettice – State Farm Insurance Agent
820 Tyvola Rd #103 – Charlotte, NC 28217 – (704) 523-1717 – View Map
- Kyle Fadeley – State Farm Insurance Agent
13551 Steelecroft Pkwy #120 – Charlotte, NC 28278 – (704) 588-5585 – View Map
- Todd Younker – State Farm Insurance Agent
7725 Matthews-Mint Hill Road – Charlotte, NC 28227 – (704) 545-9111 – View Map
Choosing an insurance agent is decision based upon more than just the bottom line cost. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Are they giving you every discount you deserve?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- What companies can they write with?
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Is there a local claims center in Charlotte?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
Auto insurance savings summarized
When searching for inexpensive Charlotte auto insurance quotes, make sure you don’t buy less coverage just to save a little money. In too many instances, consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that a couple dollars of savings turned into a financial nightmare. Your strategy should be to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
Some auto insurance companies do not offer rate quotes online and most of the time these smaller companies work with independent agencies. Lower-priced auto insurance in Charlotte can be sourced on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, so compare prices from both so you have a total pricing picture.
In this article, we covered some good ideas how you can find cheaper Chevy Volt insurance in Charlotte. The key concept to understand is the more rate quotes you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Charlotte auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the biggest savings come from some of the lesser-known companies.
Additional detailed information can be read by following these links:
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- How Much are Car Insurance Rates with Multiple Speeding Tickets in Charlotte? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for Retired Military in Charlotte? (FAQ)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for a 20 Year Old Male in Charlotte? (FAQ)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Crash Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Insurance in the U.S. (Wikipedia)