The most effective way to get discount auto insurance rates is to compare prices regularly from providers who sell auto insurance in Charlotte. You can compare rates by following these steps.
Step 1: Try to learn a little about car insurance and the things you can change to keep rates down. Many things that are responsible for high rates such as inattentive driving and a not-so-good credit rating can be remedied by paying attention to minor details.
Step 2: Request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can give quotes from a single company like Progressive or State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes from multiple insurance companies.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your existing coverage to see if a cheaper rate is available. If you find a better price and decide to switch, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
Step 4: Provide notification to your current agent or company to cancel your current coverage. Submit a completed application and payment to your new carrier. Once the paperwork is finalized, safely store the proof of insurance paperwork in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
An essential thing to point out is to try to compare the same deductibles and limits on each price quote and and to get rates from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this provides a fair price comparison and plenty of rates choose from.
It goes without saying that car insurance companies don’t want you comparing rates. Drivers who shop around for better prices will probably buy a different policy because of the high probability of finding a policy with better rates. A recent survey found that drivers who routinely compared rates saved as much as $850 each year compared to other drivers who never compared prices.
If saving the most money on auto insurance in Charlotte is your ultimate goal, then having an understanding of how to find and compare insurance can help you succeed in finding affordable rates.
Locating the most cost-effective insurance policy in Charlotte is really quite simple as long as you have a good starting point. If you have a current insurance policy, you should be able to reduce premiums using the following tips. Although North Carolina car owners can benefit by having an understanding of how companies determine prices because rates fluctuate considerably.
Cheap auto insurance in Charlotte, NC
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer comparison quotes in Charlotte, NC. If you wish to find cheap auto insurance in Charlotte, we suggest you get price quotes from several of them in order to find the most affordable rates.
Auto insurance quotes and discounts
Companies that sell car insurance do not list every policy discount in an easy-to-find place, so the next list breaks down a few of the more common and the more hidden ways to save on auto insurance.
- Payment Discounts – By paying your entire bill at once instead of making monthly payments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Claim Free – Claim-free drivers can save substantially in comparison with bad drivers.
- More Vehicles More Savings – Buying insurance for multiple vehicles with one company can get a discount for every vehicle.
- One Accident Forgiven – Not really a discount, but companies like GEICO and Liberty Mutual will forgive one accident without the usual rate increase with the catch being you have to be claim-free before the accident.
- Discount for Life Insurance – Some companies give a discount if you purchase a life policy as well.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less compared to accident prone drivers.
Keep in mind that most credits do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only reduce individual premiums such as medical payments or collision. So when the math indicates you can get free auto insurance, it doesn’t quite work that way.
Auto insurance companies that may offer policyholders some of the discounts shown above include:
If you are trying to find inexpensive Charlotte car insurance quotes, ask each insurance company how many discounts you can get. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be offered on policies in Charlotte. If you would like to see a list of insurers that offer some of these discounts in North Carolina, click this link.
You Can Change Your Insurance Prices
One of the most helpful ways to save on auto insurance is to to have a grasp of the rating factors that help determine the rates you pay for auto insurance. When consumers understand what determines base rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may reward you with better auto insurance rates.
The items below are some of the major factors auto insurance companies consider when setting prices.
- Raise your comp and collision deductibles for better premiums – Physical damage deductibles define how much you are required to spend out-of-pocket if the claim is covered. Physical damage coverage, also known as collision and other-than-collision, covers damage that occurs to your car. Some examples of claims that would be covered could be a windshield broken by a bird, hail damage, and damage from wind. The more damage repair cost you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the less your company will charge you for insurance.
- Can a thief steal your car? – Owning a car with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your auto insurance. Advanced theft deterrents such as vehicle immobilizer systems, General Motors OnStar and LoJack tracking systems all help stop your car from being stolen.
- Your job is a factor – Did you know your auto insurance rates can be affected by your occupation? Careers such as real estate brokers, airline pilots, and miners are shown to have higher rates than the rest of us due to high stress levels and incredibly demanding work hours. On the flip side, careers such as actors, athletes and homemakers have lower than average premiums.
- Getting married can lower costs – Your spouse can actually save you money when shopping for auto insurance. It means you’re more stable financially and it’s statistically proven that married drivers tend to file fewer claims.
- Extra coverages that may not be needed – Insurance companies have many extra coverages that you can get tricked into buying but may not be useful. Coverage for things like rental car coverage, better glass coverage, and motor club memberships may be costing you every month. You may think they are a good idea when talking to your agent, but now you might not need them so remove them from your policy.
What is the best insurance coverage?
When it comes to choosing adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there is no “best” method to buy coverage. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply.
For instance, these questions may help highlight if your insurance needs will benefit from professional help.
- Am I covered if I crash into my own garage door?
- Does my car insurance cover rental cars?
- Do I need motorclub coverage?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- What is the premium to book value ratio for dropping full coverage?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions, you may need to chat with a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, complete this form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier
When to have guidance from an insurance agent
Some consumers still like to talk to a local agent and that can be a smart move One of the great benefits of comparing rates online is the fact that you can find lower rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To make it easy to find an agent, after completing this form (opens in new window), the quote information is transmitted to local insurance agents who will give competitive quotes for your business. It’s much easier because you don’t need to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go to the email address you provide. It’s the lowest rates without a big time investment. If you wish to compare prices from a specific company, don’t hesitate to search and find their rate quote page and complete a quote there.
Picking the best company requires more thought than just a low price. The following questions are important to ask.
- How often do they review policy coverages?
- Can you choose the body shop in case repairs are needed?
- Do the coverages you’re quoting properly cover your vehicle?
- Is coverage determined by price?
- Where would your vehicle be repaired?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in North Carolina?
Two types of auto insurance agents
If you would like to find an insurance agent, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures and how they operate. Agencies in Charlotte can be described as either independent or exclusive.
These agents can only quote rates from one company and examples are State Farm, Allstate and AAA. These agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so always compare other rates. These agents are usually well trained on the products they sell which can be an advantage.
Shown below are Charlotte exclusive insurance agents that can give you rate quotes.
Roger Craig – State Farm Insurance Agent
1427 Emerywood Dr – Charlotte, NC 28210 – (704) 553-2327 – View Map
Independent Insurance Agents
Agents that choose to be independent are normally appointed by many insurers and that enables them to quote your coverage with multiple insurance companies and find you the best rates. If they find a cheaper price, they simply switch companies in-house and you don’t have to find a new agent.
If you are comparing auto insurance prices, you will definitely want to get rate quotes from several independent agencies to get the most accurate price comparison.
Listed below are Charlotte independent agencies that can give you price quote information.
If you receive acceptable answers as well as cheap Pacifica Hybrid insurance quotes, chances are good that you have found an insurance agent that is reputable and can properly insure your vehicles.
Cover all your bases
A few companies may not offer price quotes online and usually these regional carriers only sell through local independent agencies. Cheaper car insurance in Charlotte is available on the web in addition to local insurance agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both in order to have the best price selection to choose from.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s very important that you do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. Too many times, someone dropped liability coverage limits and found out when filing a claim that the small savings ended up costing them much more. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage at the best possible price and still be able to protect your assets.
More tips and info about car insurance is located in the articles below:
- Front crash protection reduces rear-end crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Police Officers in Charlotte? (FAQ)
- Where can I buy Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Vehicle Safety Ratings (iihs.org)
- Auto Insurance for Teen Drivers (Insurance Information Institute)