It’s an obvious statement that auto insurance companies don’t want you shop around. Consumers who compare rates at least once a year will presumably switch insurance companies because there is a good chance of finding lower prices. A survey found that people who regularly compared price quotes saved $860 a year as compared to drivers who never compared prices.
If finding discount rates on auto insurance in Charlotte is your intention, then having a grasp of how to find and compare car insurance can make it easier for you to save money.
The easiest way to find affordable quotes for auto insurance rates is to compare prices once a year from providers in Charlotte. Price quotes can be compared by following these guidelines.
- Take a few minutes and learn about how your policy works and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many factors that increase rates like accidents, traffic tickets, and poor credit history can be remedied by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can quote rates for a wide range of companies.
- Compare the new rates to your current policy premium to see if you can save by switching companies. If you find a lower rate, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
One key aspect when comparing rates is that you’ll want to make sure you compare similar limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get quotes from as many different insurance providers as possible. This helps ensure a fair rate comparison and the best rate selection.
First Step: Get free Dodge Stratus insurance quotes
Most companies provide coverage prices on their websites. Doing online quotes for Dodge Stratus insurance in Charlotte can be done by anyone as you just enter your coverage preferences as detailed in the form. After you complete the form, the company’s rating system automatically orders reports for credit and driving violations and returns a price quote. This makes it a lot easier to compare rates and it is important to do this in order to get affordable prices.
To save time and use this form to compare rates, compare quotes from the companies shown below. If you have your current policy handy, we recommend you duplicate the limits and deductibles exactly as they are listed on your policy. This helps ensure you will have comparison quotes for similar insurance coverage.
The companies in the list below offer price comparisons in North Carolina. To get cheap auto insurance in Charlotte, we recommend you visit several of them to get the best price comparison.
Why you need quality insurance for your Stratus
Despite the high cost, paying for insurance is required for several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum mandated liability insurance limits which means you are required to carry a specific minimum amount of liability coverage if you drive a vehicle. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Stratus has a loan, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may insure your Dodge for a much higher rate and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance preserves your car and your assets. It will also pay for medical expenses for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If your Dodge gets damaged, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance are definitely more than the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays more than $825 a year so compare quotes from several companies once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
Seven Things That Influence Your Insurance Prices
Lots of things are considered when premium rates are determined. Some factors are common sense like an MVR report, but some are not as apparent such as your marital status and annual miles driven.
- Do you really need roadside assistance? – There are many extra coverages that may not really be needed but may not be useful. Coverages like roadside assistance, high-cost glass coverage, and Farm Bureau memberships may not be needed and are just wasting money. You may think they are a good idea at first, but if they’re wasting money get rid of them and save.
- Keep policy claims to a minimum – Car insurance companies in North Carolina generally give lower rates to policyholders who do not file claims often. If you are the type of insured that files lots of claims you can definitely plan on higher rates. Your car insurance is designed for major claims that would cause financial hardship.
- Do you know your physical damage deductibles? – Physical damage protection, also known as collision and other-than-collision, covers your vehicle from damage. Examples of covered claims are a windshield shattered by a rock, flood damage, and having your car stolen. The deductibles are how much you are required to pay if the claim is covered. The larger the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the bigger discount you will receive.
- Urban residents pay more – Residing in small towns and rural areas may provide you with better prices if you are looking for the lowest rates. Fewer drivers on the road means fewer accidents in addition to lower liability claims. Residents of big cities regularly have more auto accidents and higher rates of accident claims. Higher commute times means more chance of being in an accident.
- High credit rating translates to low prices – A driver’s credit rating can be an important factor in calculating your auto insurance rates. So if your credit rating is low, you could save money insuring your Dodge Stratus by improving your rating. Insureds with good credit tend to file fewer claims than drivers who have bad credit.
- Lower premiums for vehicles with better crash test results – Cars with five star safety ratings tend to be cheaper to insure. Vehicles built for safety help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and better occupant protection means lower claim amounts which can mean better rates for you. If your Dodge Stratus earned at least four stars on Safercar.gov or an “acceptable” rating on iihs.org you may be receiving a better rate.
- Teen drivers pay high rates – Older drivers have been proven to be more responsible, tend to cause fewer accidents, and are generally more financially stable. Teen drivers are statistically shown to be less responsible in a vehicle and because of this, their auto insurance rates are much higher.
Get cheaper Dodge Stratus insurance rates in Charlotte
Car insurance companies don’t always advertise their entire list of discounts very well, so the following list contains a few of the more common in addition to some of the lesser obvious credits available to bring down your rates.
- Accident-Free Discounts – Insureds with no claims or accidents can earn big discounts when compared to policyholders that have many claims.
- Driver Safety – Completing a course in defensive driving may get you a small discount and also improve your driving technique.
- Multi-car Discount – Having multiple cars or trucks with one company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Multi-line Discount – Select insurance carriers reward you with a discounted auto insurance rate on car insurance if you buy life insurance from them.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a new Stratus may earn a small discount since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Responsible Driver Discount – Insureds who avoid accidents may receive a discount up to 45% than drivers with accidents.
- Student in College – Youth drivers who are attending college and do not take a car to college may qualify for this discount.
- Auto/Home Discount – If you combine your homeowners and auto policies and place coverage with the same company they may give you a discount of over 10 percent off each policy depending on the company.
- Driver’s Ed – Have your child enroll in driver’s education as it can save substantially.
- Professional Organizations – Being in specific professional or occupational memberships or organizations could qualify you for a break on your policy.
Discounts lower rates, but most credits do not apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though you would think having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, it just doesn’t work that way. But any discount will definitely reduce the premium cost.
If you would like to choose from a list of providers who offer free Dodge Stratus insurance quotes in North Carolina, click this link.
How to know if you need help
When selecting your policy for your personal vehicles, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Each situation is unique and your car insurance should be unique as well.
These are some specific questions might help in determining whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Will I be non-renewed for getting a DUI or other conviction?
- Do I have ACV or replacement cost coverage?
- Does my policy cover me when driving someone else’s vehicle?
- Is my nanny covered when transporting my kids?
- Which companies will insure high-risk drivers?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- How can I get the company to pay a claim?
- Should I buy full coverage?
- Do I have coverage when pulling a U-Haul trailer?
Do I need a local insurance agent?
A lot of people still like to get advice from a local agent and that is not a bad decision One of the best bonuses of getting online price quotes is the fact that drivers can get the lowest rates and still have an agent to talk to.
To find an agent, once you fill out this short form, your coverage information is submitted to participating agents in Charlotte who will give you quotes to get your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to find an agent on your own since price quotes are sent directly to you. You can most likely find cheaper rates without requiring a lot of work. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific company, you would need to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Finding the right company needs to be determined by more than just the premium amount. These are some valid questions you should ask.
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- Do they review policy coverages at every renewal?
- Do they write coverage based solely on cost?
- Are they primarily personal or commercial lines agents in Charlotte?
If you want to use a reliable agent, it helps to know the two different agency structures that you can choose from. Agencies in Charlotte are classified as either independent or exclusive depending on the company they work for.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
These agents work for only one company and examples are Farmers Insurance or State Farm. Exclusive agents are unable to place coverage with different providers so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. These agents are usually quite knowledgeable on their products and sales techniques which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
Below is a list of exclusive insurance agents in Charlotte willing to provide rate quotes.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that choose to be independent do not have single company limitations so they can insure your vehicles through many companies and get you the best rates possible. If premiums increase, your policy is moved internally and you stay with the same agent.
When shopping rates, you need to get rate quotes from multiple independent agents to have the most options to choose from.
Listed below are independent agents in Charlotte willing to provide rate quotes.
Cheap insurance rates are out there
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s a bad idea to reduce needed coverages to save money. There are a lot of situations where an insured dropped liability limits or collision coverage only to discover later they didn’t have enough coverage. Your goal should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the lowest possible cost, not the least amount of coverage.
We just covered a lot of information how to lower your Dodge Stratus insurance rates in Charlotte. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Charlotte auto insurance, the better likelihood of getting the cheapest Dodge Stratus rate quotes. You may even find the best rates are with the least-expected company. These companies can often provide lower car insurance rates in certain areas than the large multi-state companies such as GEICO and State Farm.
Even more information is available at these sites:
- Vehicle Insurance (Wikipedia)
- How Much are Charlotte Car Insurance Quotes for Government Employees? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Teenagers in Charlotte? (FAQ)
- Auto Insurance FAQ (Farmers Insurance)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Distracted Driving (Insurance Information Institute)