Unthinkable but true, over 70% of drivers have remained with the same insurance company for a minimum of four years, and practically 40% of insurance customers have never compared rate quotes at all. North Carolina drivers could save nearly 10% each year by just shopping around, but most undervalue the benefits if they switched.
If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to get budget car insurance rates is to start comparing rates regularly from different companies in Charlotte. You can shop around by following these guidelines.
- First, take a few minutes and learn about how companies set rates and the things you can control to keep rates down. Many policy risk factors that result in higher prices like inattentive driving and a bad credit rating can be amended by making minor driving habit or lifestyle changes. Keep reading for more ideas to help reduce prices and find additional discounts.
- Second, quote rates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from a single company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes from multiple companies.
- Third, compare the quotes to your existing policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find a better price and buy the policy, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
One tip to remember is to use similar limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get quotes from as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this provides a fair price comparison and the best price selection.
How to compare Charlotte GMC Envoy insurance quotes
There are several ways to compare rate quotes from many different North Carolina insurance companies. The best method to comparison shop is simply to get online rate quotes. Just keep in mind that making a lot of price comparisons increases the chance that you will find the best price.
The following companies are ready to provide comparison quotes in Charlotte, NC. If you want to find cheap auto insurance in Charlotte, we recommend you click on several of them to get the most affordable price.
Get affordable rates by applying these nine discounts
Some companies do not list every discount available very clearly, so we break down both well-publicized and the harder-to-find discounts you could be receiving when you buy Charlotte car insurance online. If you are not receiving all the discounts you qualify for, you are paying more than you should be.
- Good Students Pay Less – Getting good grades could provide a savings of up to 20% or more. This discount can apply up to age 25.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Putting coverage on a new Envoy can save you some money compared to insuring an older model.
- Onboard Data Collection – Policyholders that allow their insurance company to look at when and where they use their vehicle by installing a telematics device such as Progressive’s Snapshot and State Farm’s In-Drive could save a few bucks if their driving habits are good.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Factory options such as air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems may get savings of up to 25% or more.
- Pay Early and Save – If you pay your bill all at once as opposed to paying monthly you can actually save on your bill.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Being a homeowner may trigger a policy discount on insurance because of the fact that having a home is proof that your finances are in order.
- Bundled Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same company you may save approximately 10% to 15%.
- ABS and Traction Control Discounts – Cars with ABS braking systems or traction control are much safer to drive so you can save 10 percent or more.
- Discounts for Cautious Drivers – Accident-free drivers may save up to 50% more than drivers with accident claims.
Consumers should know that most discounts do not apply to all coverage premiums. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. If you do the math and it seems like adding up those discounts means a free policy, insurance companies wouldn’t stay in business.
Auto insurance companies that may offer some of the discounts shown above are:
- Mercury Insurance
- Farmers Insurance
- Auto-Owners Insurance
- Liberty Mutual
Before buying, ask every company how you can save money. Some discounts listed above might not be offered in Charlotte. To see insurers who offer insurance discounts in Charlotte, click here.
Why you need GMC vehicle insurance in North Carolina
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a GMC Envoy in Charlotte, insuring your vehicle is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
First, the majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means the state requires specific minimum amounts of liability insurance if you drive a vehicle. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if your vehicle has a loan, most banks will have a requirement that you carry insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank will be required to insure your GMC for a much higher rate and require you to fork over a much higher amount than you were paying before.
Third, car insurance preserves not only your car but also your financial assets. It will also provide coverage for medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. As part of your policy, liability insurance will also pay to defend you if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of buying car insurance more than cancel out the cost, particularly when you have a large claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is wasting up to $700 annually so you should quote and compare rates at least once a year to save money.
Do I need special coverages?
When it comes to the best insurance coverage, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Everyone’s situation is a little different so your insurance needs to address that.
For instance, these questions can aid in determining if you might need professional guidance.
- Am I covered when pulling a rental trailer?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- Is extra glass coverage worth it?
- Do I need higher collision deductibles?
- What happens if I owe more than my GMC Envoy is worth?
- Why am I required to buy liability insurance?
- Is my babysitter covered when using my vehicle?
- Does my policy pay for OEM or aftermarket parts?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but a few of them apply then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. To find an agent in your area, complete this form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Local agents and insurance
Some consumers still prefer to get professional advice from a licensed agent and often times that is recommended One of the benefits of comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get cheaper car insurance rates and still have a local agent.
For easy comparison, once you complete this form (opens in new window), your insurance coverage information is instantly submitted to participating agents in Charlotte that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t need to search for an agent due to the fact that quote results will go to your email. It’s the lowest rates without having to waste a lot of time. If you want to get a rate quote from a specific company, just jump over to their website to submit a rate quote request.
Finding the right insurance company is decision based upon more than just a cheap price quote. Here are some questions you should ask.
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Do they get extra compensation for selling add-on coverages?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Is the coverage adequate for your vehicle?
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
If you prefer to buy insurance from a reputable agency, it helps to know the two different types of agencies and how they can write your policy. Insurance agents in Charlotte can be categorized as either independent or exclusive.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
These type of agents are contracted to one company such as State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. These agents are not able to give you multiple price quotes so you need to shop around if the rates are high. These agents receive a lot of sales training on what they offer and that can be a competitive advantage. Drivers often buy from the same agent for years mostly because of the brand and solid financial strength.
Shown below are Charlotte exclusive agencies who can help you get comparison quotes.
- Joe Pomykacz – State Farm Insurance Agent
2730 E W.T. Harris Blvd #202 – Charlotte, NC 28213 – (704) 535-3700 – View Map
- Juan Rubio – State Farm Insurance Agent
9401 Statesville Rd Ste E – Charlotte, NC 28269 – (704) 509-5854 – View Map
- Denis Wilson – State Farm Insurance Agent
1850 E 3rd St #360 – Charlotte, NC 28204 – (704) 376-4088 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel are not employed by any specific company and that allows them to write policies with an assortment of companies and potentially find a lower price. If premiums increase, the agent simply finds a different carrier and you stay with the same agent. If you need cheaper insurance rates, you definitely need to get insurance quotes from multiple independent agents for the best price selection. Many write coverage with companies you’ve never heard of which can be an advantage.
The following are independent insurance agents in Charlotte that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Mark McDuffie Insurance Agency
6101 Carnegie Blvd #415 – Charlotte, NC 28209 – (704) 364-9227 – View Map
- Michael A Goodman Insurance Agency Inc
6401 Carmel Rd Ste 208 – Charlotte, NC 28226 – (704) 541-8660 – View Map
- The Hoffman Agency, LLC
2015 Ayrsley Town Blvd – Charlotte, NC 28273 – (704) 280-8585 – View Map
Coverages available on your auto insurance policy
Knowing the specifics of your policy helps when choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be impossible to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. These are typical coverages offered by auto insurance companies.
This coverage will pay to fix damage to your Envoy from colliding with an object or car. You have to pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision coverage pays for things like hitting a parking meter, crashing into a building, backing into a parked car and damaging your car on a curb. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to choose a higher deductible on your Envoy to save money on collision insurance.
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for claims like hail damage, fire damage and damage from flooding. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist coverage gives you protection from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your GMC Envoy.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (30/60/25 in North Carolina), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea.
This coverage will cover damage or injury you incur to other people or property in an accident. This insurance protects YOU from legal claims by others, and does not provide coverage for your injuries or vehicle damage.
Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: bodily injury per person, bodily injury per accident and property damage. You might see values of 30/60/25 which means $30,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and $25,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against claims like medical expenses, funeral expenses, pain and suffering, emergency aid and legal defense fees. How much liability should you purchase? That is a personal decision, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as much as you can afford. North Carolina state minimum liability requirements are 30/60/25 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
The chart below shows why buying low liability limits may not be high enough to adequately cover claims.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance reimburse you for bills such as rehabilitation expenses, surgery, ambulance fees and EMT expenses. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance plan or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants as well as being hit by a car walking across the street. Personal injury protection coverage is only offered in select states and may carry a deductible