The easiest way to find cheaper prices for auto insurance rates is to start doing an annual price comparison from insurance carriers who can sell car insurance in Charlotte. Drivers can shop around by following these guidelines.
- Read and learn about how car insurance works and the things you can change to keep rates down. Many rating factors that cause high rates such as speeding and a bad credit score can be controlled by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Get rate quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO or Allstate, while agents who are independent can provide price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Compare the quotes to your existing policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you find better rates, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Provide notification to your current agent or company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit the completed application along with a down payment for the new coverage. Once the paperwork is finalized, keep your new certificate verifying coverage somewhere easily accessible.
An important part of this process is to try to use identical limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to compare as many companies as you can. Doing this provides the most accurate price comparison and maximum price selection.
Unfortunately, most insurance buyers have purchased from the same company for well over three years, and almost 40% of drivers have never shopped around. With the average premium in North Carolina being $1,000, drivers could save almost $100 each year by just shopping around, but they just assume it takes a lot of time to find lower-cost insurance by shopping around.
Cut your auto insurance rates with discounts
Auto insurance is not inexpensive, but you may qualify for discounts that may help make it more affordable. A few discounts will automatically apply at quote time, but a few need to be specially asked for prior to getting the savings.
- Service Members Pay Less – Having an actively deployed family member could qualify you for better rates.
- Pay Upfront and Save – If you pay your bill all at once rather than paying monthly you could save up to 5%.
- College Student – Children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and leave their car at home could get you a discount.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars and trucks equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems can help prevent theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government can earn a discount up to 10% with a few auto insurance companies.
- Multiple Policy Discount – If you insure your home and vehicles with the same insurance company you may earn up to 20% and get you cheap Routan insurance.
- Responsible Driver Discount – Safe drivers can save up to 40% or more on their Charlotte auto insurance quote compared to accident prone drivers.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Options like air bags or automatic seat belts could see savings up to 30%.
- Defensive Driver – Passing a defensive driving course could possibly earn you a 5% discount and make you a better driver.
You can save money using discounts, but some credits don’t apply to the overall cost of the policy. Most only apply to the price of certain insurance coverages like liability, collision or medical payments. So when the math indicates you would end up receiving a 100% discount, auto insurance companies aren’t that generous.
The chart below shows the comparison of Volkswagen Routan premium costs with and without discounts applied to the rates. Data assumes a female driver, no violations or accidents, North Carolina state minimum liability limits, comprehensive and collision coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with homeowner, multi-policy, claim-free, multi-car, safe-driver, and marriage discounts applied.
A few of the larger companies and some of the discounts include:
- State Farm has discounts for multiple policy, safe vehicle, driver’s education, multiple autos, and good driver.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including military active duty, emergency military deployment, driver training, anti-lock brakes, seat belt use, and anti-theft.
- SAFECO may include discounts for anti-lock brakes, teen safe driver, bundle discounts, multi-car, and anti-theft.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for early shopping, good student, distant student, alternative fuel, pay in full, multi-car, and homeowner.
- AAA offers discounts for multi-policy, pay-in-full, AAA membership discount, good student, and education and occupation.
- USAA has savings for vehicle storage, military installation, defensive driver, good student, family discount, new vehicle, and multi-vehicle.
It’s a good idea to ask each insurance company which discounts you qualify for. A few discounts may not apply to policyholders in Charlotte. For a list of providers that provide some of the discounts listed above in Charlotte, click here.
Finding Volkswagen Routan insurance in Charlotte, NC
To find the best auto insurance rates, there are several ways of comparing rate quotes from different companies. The easiest way to comparison shop is to use the internet to compare rates.
Online shopping is fast and free, and it makes it obsolete to call or drive to and from local insurance agencies. Buying insurance online eliminates the middleman unless you have a complicated situation and need the trained advice only provided by licensed agents. You can, however, get the lowest quotes online but still have the advice of a local agent. It’s important to know that comparing more quotes provides better odds of finding a better price.
The providers in the list below are our best choices to provide quotes in North Carolina. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you compare several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Volkswagen Routan insurance coverage information
The premium table shown next showcases a range of policy rates for Volkswagen Routan models. Learning more about how insurance prices are formulated can benefit drivers when making smart buying decisions.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Routan S 2WD||$214||$328||$286||$16||$86||$930||$78|
|Routan SE 2WD||$242||$398||$286||$16||$86||$1,028||$86|
|Routan SEL 2WD||$242||$470||$286||$16||$86||$1,100||$92|
|Routan SEL Premium 6 Cyl 2WD||$268||$470||$286||$16||$86||$1,126||$94|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and North Carolina minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, safe-driver, and homeowner. Rates do not factor in zip code location which can increase or decrease coverage prices substantially.
The diagram below illustrates how your choice of deductibles and can increase or decrease Volkswagen Routan insurance rates for different insured age categories. Data assumes a single male driver, full coverage, and no discounts are taken into consideration.
How Your Routan Insurance Costs are Determined
Many different elements are used in the calculation when pricing auto insurance. Some are obvious such as your driving history, but others are less apparent such as your marital status or how financially stable you are.
Shown below are some of the most common factors used by your company to calculate your prices.
- Drive less and pay lower prices – The more you drive your Volkswagen annually the more you will pay for car insurance. Almost all companies calculate rates partially by how you use the vehicle. Autos left parked in the garage qualify for better rates compared to those used for work or business. It’s always a good idea to double check that your car insurance declarations sheet properly reflects the correct usage, because improper ratings can cost you money. A policy that improperly rates your Routan may be costing you.
Tickets and citations cost more than a fine – How you drive can have a huge impact on auto insurance premiums. Good drivers get better rates than people who have multiple driving citations. Even a single ticket may increase your cost twenty percent or more. Drivers who get severe violations like DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding are required to maintain a SR-22 to the state department of motor vehicles in order to legally drive a vehicle.
The illustration below highlights how speeding tickets and at-fault accidents influence Volkswagen Routan insurance costs for different ages of insureds. The rates are based on a single female driver, comprehensive and collision coverage, $250 deductibles, and no other discounts are factored in.
- Where you reside can influence costs – Being located in smaller towns and rural areas of the country has definite advantages when talking about car insurance. Fewer drivers and short commutes means fewer accidents in addition to lower liability claims. People who live in big cities have more aggressive driving styles and longer commute times. Spending more time driving means a statistically higher chance of an accident.
Insurance is expensive for teenage drivers – More experienced drivers are proven to be safer behind the wheel, statistically cause fewer accidents, and receive fewer citations. Inexperience drivers are statistically proven to be easily distracted when behind the wheel and because of this, their car insurance rates are much higher.
The next chart assumes a single driver, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
Do I just need basic coverages?
When buying the best auto insurance coverage, there really is no best way to insure your cars. Your needs are unique to you and your policy should reflect that. For example, these questions might help in determining whether your personal situation will benefit from professional help.
- Can I rent a car in Mexico?
- Why does it cost so much to insure a teen driver in Charlotte?
- Is my dog or cat covered if injured in an accident?
- Are rental cars covered under my policy?
- Does my policy cover me if I wreck while driving under the influence?
- Are rock-chip repairs free?
- Should I bundle my homeowners policy with my auto?
- What can I do if my company won’t pay a claim?
- What is the ISO rating for a Volkswagen Routan?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation then you might want to talk to an insurance agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
When to have guidance from a local insurance agent
A small number of people would rather have an agent’s advice. A good thing about getting free rate quotes online is you may find cheap auto insurance rates and still have a local agent. Putting coverage with local insurance agents is important particularly in Charlotte.
Once you complete this quick form, the coverage information is emailed to insurance agents in Charlotte that can provide free Charlotte auto insurance quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You won’t even need to visit any agencies because prices are sent to you directly. You can find lower rates AND an agent nearby. If you wish to quote rates from a specific insurance company, feel free to jump over to their website and submit a quote form there.
When searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, it’s helpful to know the different types of agents and how they function. Insurance agencies in Charlotte are classified as either exclusive or independent (non-exclusive).
Independent Auto Insurance Agents (or Brokers)
Independent insurance agents do not write with just one company so as a result can place your coverage through many companies depending on which coverage is best. If you are not satisfied with one company, they can switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part. If you are comparing rate quotes, you absolutely need to compare prices from several independent insurance agents to get the best comparison.
Listed below are independent agencies in Charlotte that may be able to provide cheap rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents can only place business with one company and examples are Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. They usually cannot compare rates from other companies so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agencies are well trained on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage.
Shown below is a list of exclusive agents in Charlotte that are able to give price quotes.
Picking the best auto insurance agent should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. Here are some questions to ask:
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in North Carolina?
- How long has their agency been in business in Charlotte?
- Which insurance companies are they affiliated with?
- Do they feel the quoted coverages are adequate?
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Do you have coverage for a rental car if your vehicle is in the repair shop?
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Is vehicle damage repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
After talking to the agent and getting reasonable responses and affordable Volkswagen Routan insurance rates in Charlotte quotes, you’ve probably found a car insurance agent that will properly service your auto insurance policy.
It may be expensive, but it’s not optional
Even though it can be expensive, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- Just about all states have mandatory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability insurance coverage in order to get the vehicle licensed. In North Carolina these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a loan on your Routan, most banks will make it mandatory that you have comprehensive coverage to guarantee their interest in the vehicle. If you let the policy lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Volkswagen for a much higher rate and require you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Insurance protects both your Volkswagen Routan and your assets. Insurance will pay for medical bills incurred in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you cause an accident and are sued. If your Volkswagen gets damaged, your policy will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your car greatly outweigh the cost, particularly for liability claims. The average driver in North Carolina is currently overpaying as much as $810 a year so it’s recommended you shop around at every policy renewal to make sure the price is not too high.
Quote often and quote early
Cheaper auto insurance in Charlotte is attainable on the web and from local agencies, and you should compare price quotes from both so you have a total pricing picture. There are still a few companies who do not provide online quoting and these smaller companies sell through independent insurance agents.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, do not skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced collision coverage only to regret that it was a big mistake. Your goal should be to find the BEST coverage at a price you can afford and still be able to protect your assets.
Throughout this article, we presented a lot of information how to reduce Volkswagen Routan insurance car insurance rates online in Charlotte. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the better chance you’ll have of finding low cost Charlotte auto insurance quotes. You may even discover the best car insurance rates are with a company that doesn’t do a lot of advertising. Smaller companies can often insure niche markets at a lower cost than the large multi-state companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
Additional detailed information can be read by following these links:
- What is Covered by an Auto Insurance Policy? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Charlotte Auto Insurance Rates for Uber Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Charlotte Auto Insurance Quotes for Young Drivers? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for Low Mileage Drivers in Charlotte? (FAQ)
- Teen Driving Statistics (iihs.org)
- Steps to Take After an Auto Accident (Insurance Information Institute)
- Safety Belts FAQ (iihs.org)